Friday, June 4, 2010

Faux-3D Wire Sculptures



Large version.

CLICK FOR A NEW CONFIGURATION

Okay, I'm revisiting the curves again. Through a bit of an accident, I managed to create a faux-3D effect using some trig. What's going on is similar to the last curves expriment, only this time we're not randomizing the movement. Also, we're only moving points on the X-axis. Those points are moved by a sin of a steadily increasing number (.01 - interestingly, .1 created jittering line segments and .001 caused the figure to warp on the X-axis).


So WHY does it look 3D? I believe it has something to do with the sine wave having a pretty up close and personal relationship with the circle. Check this out for a graphic that illustrates this in 3D.

I also slapped on a minimal drop shadow to give the lines some depth.

Overall, I'm happy with this little mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment